Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My First Skirt





I finished my first skirt today!! I am very pleased with how it turned out. For one it fits and it is comfortable, and two it is a very cute skirt for summer. My mom worked on it with me and though we ran into a few snags along the way we were able to figure it all out.

Things I have learned on this project:

1. For some reason I seem to pick very complicated patterns (They all say "easy to sew" on the outside and they don't look complicated in the picture, but apparently they are)

2. The pattern doesn't always include all the steps you have to take to complete the project. For example on this one I had to gather the bottom of the skirt to attach the flounce, but the pattern did not say that anywhere in it

3. I learned how to sew by hand. Thanks mom for showing me how! I am actually getting pretty good at it since the pattern called for it in several areas.

4. It is often easier to hand baste than to machine baste unless your machine has a basting stitch built in. My mom's machine doesn't, so I had a few basting stitch problems, because the machine made it way too tight.

5. On this project I also installed my first zipper! I think it turned out really well. I was scared when we got to that point, but I got through it with very few problems.

This was a great project despite the fact that it got a little frustrating at certain points. I really enjoyed working with my mom on something. We really don't get to do that very often. We both learned a lot along the way. My mom hasn't sewn in over 16 yrs, but it seemed to be coming back to her fairly easily. I hope to work on another project together soon!

It was so cute when Kelsie saw me in the skirt for the first time she said "Mommy I want one too"! Later she was watching the Backyardigans and they started doing the Hokey Pokey and she said "Mommy come dance in your pretty dress". I thought that was so sweet! I guess I will have to find a skirt pattern for her ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment