Sunday, May 31, 2009

Learning about Aglets

I recently learned a new term while searching for a way to make the ends of cording not fray. I learned that the little plastic ends they put on shoelaces are called aglets. I thought I could use an aglet on the end of the cording to prevent the fraying. I was sure you could just go buy them somewhere and be done with it. Unfortunately I was wrong. Through my research I learned that aglets are made using very expensive equipment these days and that they no longer sell anything in the stores that would be a good substitute. However I did find a wonderful website that explained several different ways that you can "repair" or in my case make an aglet at home or at least treat the ends of cording to make them not fray Ian's Shoelace Site. I decided to try the candlewax and the burning of the ends and both worked much better than I would have thought! Both methods made the ends very hard and it would take an awful lot of use to make them start fraying in the future! :) I also want to try the clear fingernail polish suggestion in the future, but I don't currently have any and I keep forgetting to buy some when I go to the store. I also found out that they have shoelaces in more lengths than I thought, so when getting the right length possible I will probably use that as my cording and save myself the trouble of treating the ends.

This was a frustrating, but useful lesson. I have been to every craft store in the area looking for a solution to my problem only to discover that nothing they have works any better than what you can do at home. I think I will turn to the internet a little sooner next time! :)

This aglet was made using candle wax dripped over it (I used a birthday candle)


PS I tried the fray check that you can buy at the craft stores which was recommended to me both at JoAnne's and Hancock Fabrics and that may work on some cording, but it did not work at all on the cording I used for either my Mom's or my Dad's bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment