Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wet Bag




I got the idea of making a wet bag to match the diaper and wipes case I made for my brother and SIL from Make Baby Stuff.com. I had a couple of problems with this particular tutorial. One PUL fabric is not easy to find and two the tutorial doesn't explain how to sew in a zipper, so I had to improvise.

The first problem was kind of hard to overcome, because I wasn't sure what to use as a lining. I tried using regular vinyl material for the lining, but I wasn't pleased with the result. I then tried using iron on vinyl and loved how it turned out! It was easy to apply to the lining material and still much more flexible than the vinyl material making it much easier to use. I definitely will use that anytime I can't get PUL fabric in the future.

The second problem was easy. I just used the tutorial I used for a zipper pouch I made from Flossie Teacakes and enlarged the dimensions to make it big enough for soiled clothing. I really like how she covers the ugly parts of the zipper, so this worked out great. I was pleased with the result and I am starting to feel much more confident about zipper insertion now that I have done it a few times.

Once those two problems were resolved the tutorial was easy. You just have to make sure that if your fabric is directional you account for that and sew two outside pieces together instead of folding one large piece of fabric or you will have one side upside down. With or without the lining there are so many uses for bags like these. I am sure I will be making more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment